Research has found that 40 per cent of consumer spending is from impulse buying* and with such a high statistic, it isn’t surprising that retail sales are just the icing on the cake for your salon’s revenue each month. But how can you maximise your retail sales even further?
- It’s all about position. Your retail area should be positioned near your salon entrance so that it is the first and last thing your clients see upon their visit.
- Incentivise. Nothing will make your staff work harder than the thought of a bonus in their wage packet or a great prize, such as an evening out. If incentive schemes aren’t something you already do, perhaps have a trial run during one of your busy periods when your staff will have a real chance of hitting their retail targets.
- Professional endorsement. Clients visit your salon because they trust your expertise. If your consultation is detailed and you are knowledgeable in your recommendations, clients will purchase there and then. Whether products you are recommending can be found cheaper online, giving your clients a personalised and satisfying experience will leave them feeling like they’ve gained something more than just a new product.
- Cater to everyone. As mentioned previously, there will be clients who are happy to pay a little extra for something if they are happy with the overall experience however it is important to offer gifts that fit into different price positions. Even if you only sell gift items at the lower price point, you are still taking steps towards maximising your retail sales.
- Monitor your sales. With Premier Spa and Premier Salon software you can easily track your retail sales and generate reports. This is a great way to see at a glance how well you are performing against the previous week, month or year. This can help you to see where you can improve on your sales and which staff members aren’t performing as well as they could be.